This list was shared by Steve Brock, an ActionCOACH in North Carolina:
There are 6 things you need to do as a business owner to be prepared to have a team (or to ensure that you continue to build your team appropriately)….
- Guts – have the courage to take the step to grow your business beyond you doing all the work.
- Clarity – what do you want them to do? You can’t figure that out after you hire them.
- The right tool kit – have the items they need to be productive ASAP. I’ll always remember I was hired into a company (mid 90’s) and they told me my computer would be there in two weeks. I decided that day not to stay.
- Defined metrics – how will you judge (and how will they know) performance?
- Training in their language – what is their DISC and VAK to ensure the training sticks
- Clarity around your vision and culture so that it resonates with them.
In a big business, hiring mistakes hurt. In a smaller business, hiring mistakes can kill. Prepare yourself and your company before you run out and start building the team.
This list lays a burden on you, the business owner. You must prepare your self and your business to make your team successful. If you’re not taking time each day to step back and plan your next move, you are not in control. Things may go well for a time, but eventually, you’ll veer off course.