Get Unstuck When Innovating
Innovation is a powerful strategy for any organization. If you can bring creativity into your business, you have a chance to redefine your industry. But to innovate, you need to think differently (thanks, Apple!). If you find yourself struggling to get something started or you’re stuck in the middle of a project, try to shift yourself into a new frame of mind:
- Get inspiration from outside. Think about what problems your customers are trying to solve. Spend time with them to understand what they actually need and how you might help them.
- Try Brian Eno’s Oblique Strategies. These are one-line thought starters to shift your assumptions. See them HERE.
- Learn from mistakes. There’s no such thing as a perfect plan. Assume your first idea is partially right and partially wrong, and then reassess your approach.
- Resist the pull of the core. Don’t shift ideas toward how you currently operate, even if that’s what you’re most comfortable doing.
- Edward de Bono is the expert on human thought. His 6 Thinking Hats concept will totally change how you conduct meetings and you’ll see productivity skyrocket.
- Edward de Bono again – his method of positing a challenging “PO” to get a group thinking is a great technique.
- Seth Godin’s Blog is a wonderful way to challenge your thinking.
Creativity is not unique to artists and poets! With a little training and some tools, anyone can make innovation a valuable strategy.